• 5 oz (150 g) waxy potatoes, scrubbed
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2/3 lb (300 g) skinless ling or hake fillets
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, softened
• 2 French shallots, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) cream
• 3 eggs, separated
• 1 tsp (5 mL) wholegrain mustard
1. Put potatoes and pinch of salt in saucepan with plenty of cold water. Cover, bring to boil, and cook for 25 minutes until tender.
2. Meanwhile, put fish and pinch of salt in large frying pan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce heat immediately. Cover and simmer 3 minutes. Leave fish to cool in liquid, then drain and coarsely crush flesh with fork; removing bones.
3. Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) butter in small saucepan, add shallots and cook gently over low heat 5 minutes. Add cream and remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Use 2 tsp (10 mL) butter to grease four 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) ramekins. Drain and peel potatoes and crush with fork. Add remaining butter, shallot-cream mixture and some pepper. Beat in egg yolks and mustard. Fold in fish.
5. Add pinch of salt to egg whites, whisk until stiff then fold into potato-fish mixture. Pour into soufflé dishes and smooth surface with a spatula. Bake 15 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- PHOTOS: NYC 2019 Pride Parade31 Pictures