Cape Breton lobster fishermen ended their blockade of Inverness Harbour Sunday, after trapping in several New Brunswick fishing boats.
The blockade started late last week as an act of protest to the federal government to allow the fishermen a share of the lucrative crab quota, as they currently face rising fuel costs and poor lobster catches.
“We’re trying to take the high road on this,” said fisherman Lawrence MacLellan.
“We’re going to take the blockade down and New Brunswick boats are free to fish ... Hopefully in the future we can fish alongside them.”
MacLellan said the New Brunswick fishermen were supportive of the blockade.
He estimates New Brunswick vessels take 500,000 pounds of crab from nearby areas.
The Harbours of Inverness, Mabou, Port Hood and Judique do not have a crab allocation.
Yesterday, the Inverness fishermen were scheduled to meet with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans area manager Helen Kerr.
Kerr could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Metro Halifax — With files from the Cape Breton Post