Apple set the tech world abuzz today after it announced the latest iterations of the iPhone, the 5C and the 5S. The two new models go on sale Sept. 20, and the 5C is available for pre-order on Sept. 13. Here’s what you need to know.
- Celebrity deaths 2018: All the stars we lost too soon 45 Pictures
- 10 finalists for TIME Person of the Year 2018 11 Pictures
1. It’s cheaper: New iPhones usually start at $199 with a contract, but the iPhone 5C will start at $99 for 16GB with a contract and $199 for a 32GB model – they will be priced at $549 and $649 off-contract.
2. It replaces the iPhone 5: Apple will discontinue the iPhone 5 in lieu of the 5C instead of selling the iPhone 5 at a lowered price. The iPhone 4S will still be available.
3. It’s plastic: The iPhone 5C boasts a glossy, hard-coated polycarbonate body. A steel frame ensures it still has the weight of its pricier counterpart.
4. It comes in five colors: The 5C comes in blue, green, pink, yellow and white, reminiscent of iPods. Apple will also sell $29 silicone cases for the 5C in six complementary colors, with cutout polka dots that allow the color of the phone to peek through.
5. It’s not very different from the 5: Apple expert Josh Davis and manager of the Apple Boutique at Abt Electronics in Chicago said, “If you already have an iPhone 5, there’s no need to rush out to the stores and grab the 5C – it is by no means a necessary replacement.” Other than a jazzed up exterior and iOS 7, which will be available to iPhone 4 and 5 users anyway, the 5C is largely the same as the 5.
1. It comes in three colors: The new 5S comes in gold, silver and gray with a shiny metallic detail around the home button. Other than that, it is virtually the same as the 5 in terms of aesthetics. With a two-year contract, it’s priced at $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB.
2. It comes with Touch ID: Instead of typing in a password, the iPhone 5S unlocks with your fingerprint. You can also use this to pay for apps and music from the iTunes store. The 5S also allows multiple fingerprints for other people you trust to use your phone.
3. It’s fast: The 5S has an A7 chip and is the first 64-bit smartphone in the world. In layman’s terms, that means “the whole system’s going to cruise,” according to Davis. “An A7 chip processor means it’s going to be twice as fast with graphics that are twice as good as the ones on an iPhone 5,” said Davis. That makes the 5S better for video games, movies and general multi-tasking.
4. It takes better photos: The camera is still 8 megapixels, but the aperture of the 5S is f2.2, which means the lens lets in more light – great for low light conditions and evening shots. Other features include a better flash, auto image stabilization and a new burst mode that captures 10 frames per second.
5. It has fun video features: The 5S allows you to play back videos in slow motion, so you can take a video and slow down sections of it for dramatic effect. You can also zoom up to 3X while you record videos – no editing necessary.