Five design teams have been selected from a field of 31 to compete in the next stage of the competition to design a new visitor centre at Fort York National Historic Site.
The finalists are:
• Baird Sampson Neuert Architects
• Diamond and Schmitt Architects
• du Toit Allsopp Hillier/du Toit Architects Limited
• Patkau Architects Inc with Kearns Mancini Architects Inc
• rawdesign with Gareth Hoskins Architects
During the next stage of the competition, the finalists will anonymously submit their conceptual designs for the visitor centre. Designs will be exhibited at a public open house where community members can comment on submissions before the jury selects a winning scheme.
The final cost of the visitor centre is estimated at $15 million and is contingent upon receipt of funds from other levels of government and private sector fundraising.
If a firm commitment of funding can be secured, the project will be tendered for construction as early as possible in 2010, with a building completion date of December 2011.
This would allow for exhibit installation and commissioning for a June 2012 opening that will coincide with the launch of Toronto’s Commemoration of the War of 1812 Bicentennial program.
- Photos: Women's March In New York City30 Pictures
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures