The Halifax Rainmen have some new opponents coming to town — and all of them will visit on weekends.
The Rainmen unveiled their 10-game home schedule for the 2010 Premier Basketball League season and will kick off the campaign on Jan. 10 against the Puerto Rico Capitanes.
The Capitanes, one of four PBL expansion franchises, are among five new opponents for the Rainmen in 2010. Maryland, the Las Vegas Thunderbirds and Lawton-Fort Sill (Okla.) Cavalry, all expansion franchises, are among the others, while the Rainmen get a long-awaited matchup with the two-time defending champion Rochester Razorsharks on Jan. 31.
Five of the 10 home games will be held on Sundays. Three are on Saturdays and two are on Fridays.
“We have some great teams in the league,” said owner Andre Levingston. “It’s going to be an exciting season.”
Return opponents are the Quebec Kebs, twice, Manchester Millrats, Vermont Frost Heaves and Buffalo Stampede. Quebec, Mancheseter and Vermont, Atlantic Conference teams, have been Halifax’s strongest rivals for two seasons.
The Rainmen will host a pre-season Holiday Classic from Dec. 19 to 21 at the Metro Centre, with games against Manchester, Quebec and either Las Vegas or Puerto Rico.
The PBL started last season with 13 teams. It now has 10 after the departures of Wilmington, Augusta, Mid-Michigan, Chicago, Detroit, Battle Creek and Montreal.
Home games for the Halifax Rainmen in 2010.
• Sunday, Jan. 10: Puerto Rico
• Saturday, Jan. 16: Lawton-Fort Sill
• Friday, Jan. 22: Quebec City
• Sunday, Jan. 31: Rochester
• Sunday, Feb. 7: Las Vegas
• Sunday, Feb. 14: Vermont
• Saturday, Feb. 20: Quebec City
• Friday, Feb. 26: Manchester
• Sunday, March 21: Buffalo
• Saturday, March 27: Maryland
- PHOTOS: Blues dump Bruins to win Stanley Cup after agonizing 52-year wait40 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures