This time of year might bring you down because of cold days and nights that leave you longing for spring.
With the power of food and flavour you can bring a little sunshine and springtime early to your place. Using vibrant flavours and colourful ingredients, you can brighten your plate and your mood.
Delicious nutty bulgur is a great grain to enjoy hot or cold, and in a salad full of crunch and colour, it's a big winner. Look for bulgur where they sell dried beans in most grocery stores or in bulk food stores. And even though you might not have the barbecue handy (because it's covered with snow) you can still enjoy burgers with a twist done right in your skillet on the stove.
Turkey burgers are lean and full of fresh ginger, coriander and garlic to keep you humming a tasty tune right into spring. Get ready, because dinner is served.
Fresh Coriander Turkey Burgers
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ground turkey or chicken is an extra lean ground meat and is the perfect foil for plenty of flavour. Feel free to serve these patties on buns or enjoy them on their own, they are just as tasty.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sodium reduced soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground turkey or chicken
1. In a large bowl, whisk together egg and soy sauce. Stir in onions, garlic, ginger, coriander, breadcrumbs and pepper. Add turkey and using hands, mix turkey into egg mixture until evenly distributed. Shape into 4 patties about ½ inch (1 cm) thick.
2. Place patties in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; cover and cook for about 15 minutes, turning once or until no longer pink inside.
Makes 4 servings.