Fresh Healthy Tomato Cabbage Soup
Submitted by Irene Leung, Port Dover, ON
- 1/4 wedge of cabbage (green or red)
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 carton (1 litre) of chicken broth
- 1 Slice (1/8 inch thick) of fresh ginger
- 1 splash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1. Pour entire carton of chicken broth into a large saucepan and add a slice of ginger into it and bring to a boil.
- 2. While the broth is boiling, cut cabbage into 1/2 inch strips and cut tomatoes into wedges.
- 3. Put the cabbage, tomatoes and hot sauce (if using) into the hot broth and bring to a boil.
- 4. After it has been boiled, simmer for about 5-10 minutes until cabbage is tender and tomatoes have broken down in smaller chunks. You can add salt and pepper to taste if desired but I find the salt in the broth is enough.
- 5. Ladle soup, cabbage and tomatoes into bowls and serve piping hot with crackers or a slice of crusty bread.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca