For about a year now I've been trying to find a good way to infuse my basic baked "fried" haddock with the taste of Thai red curry paste, and the solution has repeatedly escaped me. Until now.
My haddock couldn't be simpler. I whisk eggs, mayo and mustard in one shallow bowl, and fill a second with panko breadcrumbs. I then dredge haddock fillets through the egg mixture, then through the panko, then bake them on a sheet in the oven.
That's it. And they're delicious.
But I'd wanted to add the gentle, yet complex, spicy heat of red curry paste. I'd always focused on adding the curry paste to the egg mixture, but no matter how much I added I never was able to taste it. Ditto when I added it to my breadcrumb mixture (a messy proposal).
I'd basically given up. Then it occurred to me. I was putting the curry paste in the wrong place. Instead of adding it to the coating, I removed the mayo from the coating, whipped it with the curry paste, then slathered that on a bun, added the fish and called it a day.
It was marvellous. Finally, haddock and Thai red curry paste together
'Fried' Haddock Sandwich With Red Thai Curry Mayo
Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb (500 g) haddock fillets, divided into 4 pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Thai red curry paste
- 8 large Boston or bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns
1. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and mustard. In another wide, shallow bowl, place breadcrumbs.
2. Season haddock with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of haddock in egg mixture, letting excess drip off then coat in breadcrumbs evenly on both sides. Arrange fillets on greased baking sheet. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and curry paste. Divide mixture over the bottom half of each bun, then top each with 2 lettuce leaves. Set haddock over lettuce and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.