• 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
• 1 2/3 lbs (800 g) best neck lamb chops, cut into pieces
• 2 onions, sliced
• 2/3 lb (300 g) carrots, peeled and cut into batons
• 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) red or white wine vinegar
• 3 cups (700 ml) chicken stock, hot
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground turmeric
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
• 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup (250 ml) long-grain white rice
• 3/4 cup (175 ml) dried apricots, halved
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) sultanas
1. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish, add half the meat and briefly brown on both sides. Drain and remove to plate, then repeat with rest of meat. Add onions and carrots to dish, cook for 5 minutes, then add wine vinegar and cook over high heat 2 minutes, scraping up meaty bits.
2. Pour in hot stock, then add turmeric, cumin, thyme, bay leaves and salt and pepper to season and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, return meat to casserole, cover and simmer 1 hour.
3. Add rice, apricots and sultanas to casserole and cook 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until rice meat are both tender. (stock will be absorbed.) Remove bay leaves and thyme, check for seasoning and serve hot.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Fruity One-Pot Lamb