Residents of an apartment building in Kitsilano were allowed back home last night after being told to leave two days earlier when police discovered a dead tenant and a drug lab in a third-floor suite.

 


The building was evacuated and a Hazmat team was called to the Balsam Street apartment Saturday evening after a man found his brother dead in the suite.

 


Vancouver Police Const. Tim Fanning said it appears the 44-year-old man died from inhaling fumes from the drug “cook.”

 


“There was a strong smell coming from the suite,” he said.

 


Fanning said officials were worried dangerous chemicals had leaked into other suites and Health Canada didn’t want tenants inside until it was clear there was no risk of harm.
His identity has not been released.
-kristen.thompson@metronews.ca