100-1255 Bay St.
Rating: *** 1/2
Dinner & drinks for two: $50
White beams crosshatch around you in a small, clean space. Like a Japanese woodland forest, Ginza’s newest location in Yorkville is awash in white and blond wood.
Casual dining sushi places pepper the city like nail salons. What makes this joint so special?
For one, the menu offers up fun and unusual items like Seafood Soup in a Tea-Pot ($6), Seafood Tempura — which includes soft shell crab ($12), and a Black Pearl Roll ($15) that features snapper tempura and black caviar.
Secondly, the prices are good and the portions are abundant. Raw fish in inexpensive sushi joints can sometimes be awfully chewy. Here, it is silky and only a few sinewy pieces adorn the plate.
The Sashimi Boat ($15) has three slices of each variety — tuna, salmon, snapper, white tuna and surf clam. With the GS3 Sushi Combo ($15), you not only get miso soup and salad, but hamachi, tuna, salmon, shrimp, octopus, egg, crab, flying fish egg, cuttle fish, mackerel, surf clam, ikura & hamachi hand roll (1 pc). It is a veritable feast.
The service is fastidious until we want the bill and the appetizers arrive long after our entrees, but overall we’re pleased.
And unbelievably full.
Tea shops abound in the city, but they don’t serve tea-infused fare as well. T Café (511 Bloor St. W.) delivers intriguing options for breakfast, lunch, snacks or brunch. Of course you’ll want a good cuppa to go with that — choose from a large variety of green, black, herbal, white, oolong, rooibos and pu-erh teas.
Latest From ...
- As shutdown lingers, Pelosi asks Trump to delay State of Union addressSinger Mariah Carey sues former executive assistantEntertainment
- Why is Rihanna suing her father?Everything you need to know about the 2019 Grammy AwardsLifestyle
- Apple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distanceHow your slow cooker saves you moneySports
- Should Eagles re-sign Golden Tate?Manny Machado Yankees MLB rumors: Talks to heat back up?
- As shutdown lingers, Pelosi asks Trump to delay State of Union addressSinger Mariah Carey sues former executive assistantRally at Sony Music HQ calls on RCA Records to drop R. KellyWhy is Rihanna suing her father?Everything you need to know about the 2019 Grammy AwardsWill there be a Deadly Class season 2? Here's what we knowApple's Live Listen feature can let you hear conversations from a distance