This column is dedicated to Barry of Halifax (because he basically wrote it.)
A few weeks ago I talked about how to find value in life without a hefty price tag. I didn’t expect such an outpouring from you readers.
Barry sent me some ideas for those who enjoy the simple life. That’s the only point of departure between Barry and me: There’s nothing simple about his suggestions. Easy, yes, simple, no.
1. Invite an older person (or two!) in your building or town to come for supper and make the night magical for them and for yourself. Cook a homecooked meal and even put a tablecloth on your table. If you don’t have a tablecloth, use a clean bedsheet. (Remember those student days!)
2. Have an outside dance for a few people. Invite little Johnny and granny too! Make your own drums or clap your hands.
3. Put a jigsaw puzzle together as a get-together. Gather guests around — it can be lots of old-fashioned fun.
4. Go outside in a group or a few people and lie down on the grass and dream all those dreams that are wanting to be released from your mind. This is for all ages. (I think there was a Robin William’s movie with just such a theme.)
5. Take your dirty clothes to a friend’s house to wash. Watch a movie in between loading and unloading and folding. Then, the next time, invite your friend to your place and do it all again. (What a brilliant idea! A laundry party.)
6. Read a short story to a blind person, a child or to someone confined in bed. It’s actually highly entertaining.
In closing, Barry wrote, “I tried to think of entertainment that the poorest of people could do but that the richest people would enjoy as well.” Well done Barry. Thanks.
Alison’s Money Rule:
• Take a little creativity, add a dash of heart and suddenly adding enjoyment into your life turns out to be pretty inexpensive.
– Alison Griffiths is a financial journalist, author and host of Maxed Out on the W Network. Write to her at email@example.com.
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures