• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 796-ml can no-salt-added Italian tomatoes
• 796-ml can no-salt-added whole tomatoes in purée
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped fresh basil
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh oregano or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
• 2 slices firm-textured white bread
• 1 lb (500 g) lean (93%) ground beef
• 1 large egg
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) reduced-fat milk (2%)
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
• 12 oz (375 g) long fusilli
1. Coat large pot with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer 2 tbsp (25 ml) onion mixture to large bowl.
2. Process Italian and whole tomatoes in food processor until fairly smooth. Add to pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes. Add basil and oregano during the last 15 minutes.
3. Process bread until crumbs form. Add crumbs, beef, egg, milk, salt, and black pepper to onion mixture and mix just until blended. Shape into twenty 1-in. (2.5-cm) meatballs. Coat medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs in batches until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
4. Drain on paper towels. Add meatballs to sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 1/2 cups sauce in large heated serving bowl. Spoon 1 cup (250 ml) sauce over pasta. Serve meatballs and remaining sauce alongside.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca