Fusilli with Brown Butter and Roasted Asparagus
Recipe Developed by Paula Bowman
Photo: Carlo Mendoza
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fusilli pasta
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2. Snap the tough bottom stalks off the asparagus and discard. Spread asparagus on a rimmed sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss on sheet pan until completely coated. Roast in oven, shaking pan occasionally, until tips of spears are golden brown and stalks are just tender, about 10 minutes for medium thick spears, 5 to 6 minutes for thinner ones. Chop into 2-inch long pieces and set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente according to package instructions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set pasta aside. Dry pot and return to medium heat. Add butter and melt. Continue to cook butter until it becomes pale golden brown in colour, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and asparagus and stir. Add the Parmesan cheese and toss with pasta. Add some of the reserved water if pasta seems dry. Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide pasta among 4 plates and garnish with more Parmesan.