Students and staff at the British Columbia Institute of Technology’s downtown campus returned to class at about 10:30 on Tuesday morning after a gas leak forced the evacuation of the school.
The incident occurred at approximately 9 a.m., prompting students and faculty to vacate the BCIT building.
Vancouver Fire and Rescue, the Haz-Mat team and Vancouver Police were called to the scene.
The institution, at Dunsmuir and Seymour streets, was temporarily closed as authorities investigated. Traffic was disrupted and students stood around as they waited for an update from authorities.
The leak was established to be coming from a parking garage near the campus.
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Fred Crouch said that the leak may be linked to a pilot light at a neighbouring restaurant, however, any further danger was deemed unlikely.
“There is really no danger of an explosion,” Crouch said.