The word picnic is said to come from the French piquer — to pick or peck — coupled with nique, meaning a trifle.
Originally picnic referred to a meal that we would probably call a potluck, where every guest brought a different dish. Some items to keep stocked in the hamper in case of a sudden need to picnic:
- Utensils, forks, knives, spoons, plates.
- Non-perishable foods, such as dried fruit, peanut butter, crackers, nuts, etc.
- Beverages — bottled water, juice boxes, etc.
- Corkscrew and can opener or multi-tooled Swiss Army knife.
- Salt and pepper
- Small packets of condiments such as mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise.
- Napkin, paper towels.
- Matches, candles.
- Garbage bags for cleanup.
- A small self-sealing plastic bag containing sunscreen, lip balm, insect repellent, Band-Aids, wet naps.
- A tablecloth or a blanket.