We're obsessed with the romantic braided crown that stylist and Redken Creative Consultant Guido Palau created for the Spring '12 Valentino show. With temperatures in the 90s, it's the perfect time to sweep the hair off our sticky necks and into a dreamy updo. We headed to Cutler/Redken Salons where stylist Jenny Balding gave us a step-by-step tutorial. Warning: You'll need some French braiding skills and patience. Or better yet, find a girlfriend who will come over and do it for you.
Tool of choice
“Spray a dry shampoo — especially if you have fine hair — to your roots and mid length to add texture to your locks and for some more grip,” says Balding. She likes Redken Powder Refresh
1. Divide your hair into three sections: the front, the crown and the back. The finer the hair the thicker the sections need to be.
2. French braid the crown, braiding towards the right ear, and tie with a rubber band.
3. Braid the front section. Start from your left ear and work your way across the forehead until you get to behind the right ear.
4. Once your front braid has reached the right side, connect it with the crown braid.
5. Braid them into the remaining hair. Make sure to braid right down to the very tip.
6. Wrap the braid going from the left to right around your crown and pin.
7. Use three pins on each side and one in the center to secure your braid.
8. As you go through, pull some pieces out at the root to make your braids chunkier. "The messier the braids the cooler it'll look," says Balding.