Goat cheese stuffed mushrooms with walnuts
- 48 mushrooms (each about 4 cm/1 1/2 inches in diameter), stems removed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 175 g (6 oz) smoked bacon, chopped
- 3 shallots, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g (8 oz) creamy goat cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) finely chopped walnuts
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh rosemary
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss mushrooms with oil to coat. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets, rounded side up, and bake in a 190 C (375 F) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat for 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the bacon fat. In same skillet, add shallots, reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add goat cheese and walnuts. Mix well. Stir in parsley and rosemary.
- Place heaping 5 ml (1 tsp) of filling in each mushroom. Bake in a 190 C (375 F) oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 16 to 24 servings.