Cobb Salad Wraps with Tomatoes, Avocado and Black Beans
A cobb salad traditionally has loads of chicken, blue cheese, bacon and heavy dressing. I’ve lightened up this classic and tossed the main ingredients into a wrap. It’s delicious.
• 8 oz skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
• 1/2 cup diced plum tomatoes
• 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup diced ripe avocado
• 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• 4 tsp lemon juice
• 1 Tbsp low-fat sour cream
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
• 1/2 tsp hot chili sauce
pinch of salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup shredded aged light cheddar cheese
• 4 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1. Lightly coat a nonstick grill pan with vegetable spray and set over medium heat. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Cool slightly, then slice thinly.
- 2. Combine the tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, black beans, green onions and parsley in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, sour cream, olive oil, garlic, chili sauce, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 3. Spread one-half of each of the tortillas with some of the tomato mixture. Top with slices of chicken and the shredded cheese. Fold in 2 sides and roll up. Place the wraps in a clean grill pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning halfway, just enough to warm through. (Or heat in a 400°F oven for 5 minutes until warm.) Cut in half and serve.
Spinach Salad with Cinnamon Almonds, Strawberries and Goat Cheese
This salad is perfect for entertaining with all its vibrant colors, flavors and textures. The combination of spinach, spiced nuts, strawberries and goat cheese gives it loads of character. Prepare the almonds in larger quantities and keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
• 1/4 cup whole almonds
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp ground ginger
• 8 cups baby spinach
• 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
• 1 cup sliced strawberries
• 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (about 2 oz)
• 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 Tbsp apple juice concentrate
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 6 oz grilled sliced chicken or shrimp (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- 2. Rinse the almonds with cold water. Drain but do not let them dry. Place them in a bowl and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. Toss to coat. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, tossing once. Let cool, then remove from the baking sheet and chop coarsely.
- 3. Place the baby spinach, red pepper, strawberries and goat cheese in a large serving bowl.
- 4. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, apple juice con¬centrate, brown sugar, garlic and mustard in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Top with the chopped almonds. Serve topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, if desired.