With a new school year approaching, extracurricular activities, homework and play dates, making a healthy lunch or dinner can seem like a big challenge. However, Rose Reisman, a health and wellness consultant and national spokesperson for Breakfast for Learning, shares this grilled cheese recipe that is quick, easy and nutritious.
“Opting for flavourful unprocessed cheeses and cooking spray instead of butter or oil, gives the classic kid’s recipe a healthy boost,” says Rose. “Add carrot sticks and a glass of milk for a complete and nutritious meal.”
Tip: Prepare sandwiches early in the day but grill just before serving.
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking: 8 min.
- 2 oz. aged light cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 oz. light mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 slices plum tomato
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- Divide the cheddar and mozzarella between 2 slices of bread. Top with the sliced tomatoes. Cover with the remaining 2 slices of bread. Lightly coat both sides of each sandwich with cooking spray.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Grill the sandwiches for about 4 minutes per side, being careful not to burn them.