A new earthquake shook the devastated Haitian capital Port-au-Prince early yesterday, rattling already wrecked buildings and triggering panic among survivors of last week's devastating quake.

 

The largest aftershock since the killer quake struck on Jan. 12 rattled masses camping on the streets but appeared not to cause any new destruction or slow international relief bolstered by increasing numbers of U.S. troops.

 

The 6.1-magnitude aftershock at daybreak sent shrieking Haitians running from buildings and walls fearing a repeat of the magnitude-7 earthquake that killed tens of thousands of people eight days ago.

 

“Things started shaking. We were really afraid. People came out into the street,” said Victor Jean Rossiny, a law student living in the street. “We have nothing here, not even water.”

 

U.S. Black Hawk helicopters landed in the grounds of Haiti’s wrecked presidential palace on Tuesday, deploying troops and supplies and immediately attracting crowds of survivors who clamored for handouts of food.

“Supplies are beginning to get out to the people,” U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said while visiting India. He hoped the presence of U.S. troops would prevent violence.