Ham ’n’ Pea Soup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 3/4 cups (675 mL) frozen peas
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 7 oz (200 g) cooked ham, diced
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) reduced-fat soft cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1. Heat oil in large pot and fry onion gently 5-6 minutes to soften.
- 2. Stir in peas and stock, and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Season lightly.
- 3. Put soup in food processor and whiz to fairly rough purée. Add ham and return to pot. Heat until boiling.
- 4. Add soft cheese and stir gently until just melted. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve with soda bread or crusty bread.