1. Unveiled Nov. 15, 2001, in a world dominated by Sony’s PlayStation 2, the Xbox was the underdog. Creator Microsoft was known for Windows operating systems but not games. But its main feature — a built-in hard drive — was new, and impressive.
2. Smartly, the Xbox’s launch title was Halo: Combat Evolved, the first installment in a first-person shooter series that would become the system's flagship exclusive.
3. Proof the system was taking off: In 2002, 250,000 people signed up for Xbox Live, the Internet service that connects players around the world. By 2009, the service had 20 million members.
3. In May 2005, the next-generation Xbox 360 was announced. More than 60 million have been sold.
4. Kinect for Xbox 360, launched November 2010, allows you to control images without a controller — the technology reads your body movements. The applications are just starting to be realized.
5. What’s next? We’ll find out in 2013, when the next generation Xbox is rumoured to be announced.