Harvest Pork Apple Pie
- 500 g lean ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 2 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200ºC). In large skillet, cook ground pork, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink; Drain. Stir in bread crumbs, chicken broth, salt, sage and cayenne pepper.
- 2. Line 23 cm pie plate with 1 pie crust; trim even with edge. Spoon meat mixture into pie plate. In medium-size bowl, combine apples, sugar, and allspice. Spoon over meat mixture.
- 3. Place remaining pie crust over apple mixture. Trim crust to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under bottom crust and crimp edge. Cut slits in top crust. Brush with milk. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca