With our Canadian winters, a hot substantial soup can be a complete meal. Soups are nutritious meals when not filled with cream and butter. My selections will be a great addition to your menus.
Meatball and Egg Noodle Soup
This is a great soup for children and teens. It's a complete meal in a bowl. Try using ground chicken, turkey or pork instead of beef. (Add an extra 1 Tbsp of breadcrumbs if you're using chicken or turkey)
- 6 oz lean ground beef
- 3 Tbsp seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 1/2 cups beef (or chicken) stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce (or store-bought spaghetti sauce)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup dried egg noodles
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. To make the meatballs, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, barbecue sauce, egg, garlic, basil and 2 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese. Form into 1-inch meatballs (you should have enough for about 24 meatballs). Lightly coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Cook the meatballs for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally or until they are browned on all sides. Set aside.
2. To make the soup, lightly coat a large, nonstick pot with cooking spray add the oil and set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until just softened and browned. Stir in the green pepper and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder and browned meatballs. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the egg noodles and simmer for 5 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Serve the soup in bowls, and garnish with remaining 4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Per serving Calories 187 • Protein 14 g • Carbohydrates 21 g • Fiber 3 g • Total fat 6.3 g • Saturated fat 1.7 g • Cholesterol 58 mg • Sodium 568 mg • prep time 20 minutes • cook time 28 minutes •