• 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 3/4 cups (425 ml) risotto rice
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) dry white wine
• Small pinch saffron strands
• 1 3/4 qt (1.75 L) vegetable stock, hot
• Fresh-grated zest of 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) lemon juice
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) snipped fresh chives
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped parsley
• Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
• 1/2 oz (14 g) piece Parmesan cheese
• Snipped fresh chives
1. Melt butter with oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add rice and stir 1 min-ute. Stir in wine and boil until almost evaporated.
3. Stir saffron into hot stock. Add ladleful of stock to pot and slowly boil until absorbed, stirring frequently. Continue adding stock ladlefuls, letting each be almost absorbed before adding next, and stirring frequently. Total cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes. Risotto is ready when rice is tender but grains are still whole and firm, and overall texture is moist and creamy.
4. Remove pot from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice, chives and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Using vegetable peeler, pare thin shavings from Parmesan and scatter over risotto together with chives.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Herb and Saffron Risotto