Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Historic Charles Morris Building makes first of new moves

After 240 years on Hollis Street, one of Halifax’s oldest buildings greeted the sun from a brand new home this morning.

After 240 years on Hollis Street, one of Halifax’s oldest buildings greeted the sun from a brand new home this morning.

The Charles Morris Building, built in 1760, has been lifted off its foundations and was scheduled to be moved last night to a parking lot on Morris Street owned by Nova Scotia Power.

The building had been destined for a landfill after a developer purchased the land where it stood and announced plans to build on the site.

The Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia and several other organizations stepped in to save the historic structure, and four HRM councillors provided funding for the move.

The building was named for its original owner, Charles Morris, who served as the province’s first chief surveyor and laid out the original streets and property lines for the city of Halifax.

The building will remain on Morris Street until the Heritage Trust decides where it should eventually end up.

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles