Honey Seared Salmon Sandwich with Apple Poppy Seed Slaw
Recipe Developed by Paula Bowman
Photo: Carlo Mendoza
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 cup cored and matchstick cut fennel, about 1/2 medium bulb, plus 2-tablespoons chopped fronds
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored and matchstick cut
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 (5oz) salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices focaccia, cut to size of salmon fillets or slices of sourdough bread
- 1. Preheat broiler to high and arrange rack 8 inches from broiler. Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil and set aside.
- 2. Combine the fennel, celery and apple in a bowl and set aside. In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine sour cream, cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice. Cover with lid and shake until well blended. Pour sour cream mixture over fennel mixture and stir to thoroughly coat.
- 3. Brush olive oil over salmon, season generously with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared sheet pan. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon honey over tops of fillets, place under broiler and cook until opaque in centre, about 5 minutes. Toast bread while salmon is cooking and transfer to plates. Place slaw on top of bread and arrange salmon on top.