Hot and Spicy Pepper, Rice and Beans
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 oz (150 g) chorizo, or spicy cured sausage, cubed
- 1 1/3 cups (325 ml) basmati rice, rinsed
- 14 oz (398 ml) can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) boiling chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus extra to garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz (398 ml) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1. Heat oil in large, heavy-based pot, and cook onion, pepper, garlic and chili pepper 5 minutes or until just softened.
- 2. Add cubed sausage, then rice, and stir-fry 1-2 minutes. Pour in coconut milk and stock. Season and bring to boil. Stir in herbs, then cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in beans and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender and beans heated through. Serve, sprinkled with little thyme.