Quick and easy summer recipes are only a click away thanks to 20 Minute Supper Club. Find lots of inspiring alternatives to burgers ’n’ dogs in the brand-new Grill Guide at www.20minutesupperclub.com.
This week’s tasty and nutritious meal includes a fresh, tossed Asparagus Salad, followed by a Summer Sausage BBQ Panini Sandwich with Corn Relish, and delicious Nanaimo Bars for dessert. Ciabatta bread is ideal for this sandwich because of its crusty outside and airy interior. Focaccia or sourdough bread would also make delicious alternatives. If you don’t have a barbecue, you can also use a Panini grill or heavy-bottomed skillet for this recipe.
Nanaimo Bars are satisfying any way you make them, but in the ones pictured we actually doubled the chocolate to get that thick, chocolatey base. The best part about these sweet treats is that you can freeze them easily, and they keep their decadent chocolate flavour until the next time you pull them out. Serve these up on your patio table for that fresh outdoors picnic flavour that can only be found during the summer months.
Recipe Developed by David Grenier
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
• 1 cup instant couscous
• 1 1/4 cup cold water
• 12 spears asparagus, shaved
• 3 peaches
• 1 bunch watercress
• 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
• 2 tablespoon fresh thyme
• 1 1/2 cup torn buffalo mozzarella
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
1. In a medium bowl, cover couscous with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine asparagus shavings, peaches and watercress. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and thyme, and toss with asparagus. Fluff couscous with a fork, add it to asparagus and season with salt and pepper.
4. To serve, divide salad among plates and garnish with cheese and pine nuts.
Chef’s Tip: To shave asparagus, lay each spear on your work surface and trim ends. Holding the tip of the spear, run a sharp vegetable peeler along its length to make long ribbons.
Summer Sausage Panini Sandwich with Quick Corn Relish
Recipe Developed by Paula Bowman
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
• 2 cobs corn, kernels removed
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
• 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and roughly diced
• 1/4 tsp minced garlic
• 1 16 oz ciabatta bread or 4 individual ciabatta rolls, halved diagonally
• 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 8 slices old cheddar
• 1/2 lb thin sliced Mennonite summer sausage or similar summer sausage
1. Preheat grill to medium-high
2. In a non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat, combine first 6 ingredients plus 1-tablespoon olive oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid has been absorbed and corn begins to lightly caramelize, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine avocado and garlic and stir in 2-teaspoons olive oil, mash slightly with a fork, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Lightly brush outside of ciabatta loaf with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay both halves of bread open on a cookie sheet and spread avocado mixture on inside top layer of bread. Cover avocado with a layer of tomatoes, followed by layers of cheese and summer sausage. When corn relish is finished cooking, distribute evenly to bottom layer of bread. Put both halves together and press gently.
4. Transfer sandwiches to a hot grill and cook, pressing lightly with a spatula until crispy on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Carefully turn sandwiches over, using a spatula and continue to cook until crispy and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Use cookie sheet to transfer to cutting board. Cut sandwich into quarters and serve warm.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Minutes
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 5 tablespoon cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 egg beaten
• 1-1/2 cup graham wafer crumbs
• 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (or try pecans, walnuts or almonds)
• 1 cup finely shredded coconut
Middle Layer Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoon milk
• 1 tablespoon 35% cream
• 2 tablespoon vanilla custard powder
• 2 cup icing sugar
Top Layer Ingredients:
• 4 ounce bittersweet chocolate
• 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Melt first four ingredients in double boiler.
2. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in crumbs, nuts and coconut. Press firmly into a greased 8" x 8" pan. Chill while you prepare the middle layer.
1. Using an electric mixer, cream all ingredients together, beating well until light in colour.
2. Spread evenly over chilled bottom layer. Place back into fridge to chill while top is being prepared.
1. Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a double boiler.
2. Cool slightly — the chocolate should still be pourable.
3. Spread gently over second layer so as not to mix the two layers together.
4. Refrigerate until set.
• Exclusive contest for Metro readers! Visit www.20minutesupperclub.com/metro and be entered to win a $50 President’s Choice gift certificate to stock your cupboards with delicious PC products. For product information and store locations, visit www.PC.ca.
• A weekly winner will be drawn from now until the end of October.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures