One of the most special parts of the holiday season is the giving and receiving of gifts.
A perfectly wrapped present not only adds to that excitement, but it shows friends and family how important they are to you. That is why trend guru Lynn Spence is encouraging all Canadians to consider wrapping their presents this holiday season, rather than using a gift bag.
“People underestimate the value of wrapping gifts,” says Spence, style expert and frequent guest on CityTV's CityLine. “Giving someone a wrapped gift shows them you care, and nothing can replace the exhilaration of imagining what's inside, and the joy created when the gift is unwrapped and discovered.”
“I really believe in making it more personal, after all you took the time to choose the gift, why not spend a little time making it stand out?” adds Spence.
For example, use an inexpensive reproduction map to cover a gift for the seasoned traveller.
- Photos: Women's March In New York City30 Pictures
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
Top a gift with a photograph as a way to share a favourite memory or to provide a hint of the gift inside.
“Don't be afraid to use your imagination and be creative,” suggests Spence.
Remember, you don't have to wrap gifts alone. Invite your friends over for a night of cocktails, appetizers and fun and wrap your gifts together.
Wrap it up in style
Mix it Up
- Move away from the traditional wrapping paper by incorporating new textures such as rice, foil and matte papers into your wrapping repertoire this year.
- Mixed colours and patterns are also a great way to add visual interest to your presents.
- Experiment with a pliable, fabulous oversized printed wallpaper tied with a paisley ribbon for a fun, unexpected look.
- Add luxury to your packages with glamorous materials such as metallic papers that will make anyone feel spoiled. Fashion inspired animal print or sophisticated quilted paper will look luxurious under the tree. Add a satin, taffeta or velvet ribbon or pearls and crystals to add holiday luxe to your gifts.
- For a more organic eco look, use recycled papers or materials such as linen, Kraft paper, fabric remnants, burlap or a fabulous vintage scarf to wrap gifts.
Make It Last
- The joy of giving is always in style but before you start wrapping gifts, Lynn offers one final piece of advice: “Make sure to use a quality tape to ensure your packages stay sealed and look great. You can be sure that no one is peeking into that gorgeous gift before the special day arrives.”