Faulty wiring is being blamed for Tuesday’s fire that ravaged a historic building on South Street in Halifax.
Halifax regional fire spokesman Capt. Dave Meldrum said Thursday that investigators pinpointed the ignition source to wiring behind a wall inside a closet on the first floor of one of the units at 5167 South St.
Meldrum said investigators have also determined the fire was “accidental in nature.”
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
Thirty people have been left homeless from the fire, and it could be weeks before they can return to their apartments.
The tenants, who lived in 18 different units inside or adjacent to the building engulfed by flames Tuesday morning, have all found temporary places to stay with friends or relatives.
Three apartments were completely destroyed in the fire, with the others requiring extensive repair work that could take several weeks.
Four restaurants were also forced to close their doors, affecting more than 30 full- and part-time workers.