Serve this as a side dish, salad or main course. The beans and pasta form a complete protein, so it’s perfect for the vegetarian. Use any combination of canned cooked beans you like. It tastes great at room temperature or chilled.
Italian Bean Pasta Salad
- 12 oz medium shell pasta
- 2 1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 2/3 cup each canned red kidney beans, white kidney beans, chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup light feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil or parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
- 2 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions, or until firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a serving bowl.
2. Add tomato, green pepper, onion, red and white kidney beans, chickpeas, feta cheese and basil to bowl.
3. For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, basil and oregano in a small bowl. Mix well. Pour the dressing over the pasta and toss.