• 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried porcini mushrooms (1/2 ounce)
• 1 cup (250 ml) hot water
• 1 cup (250 ml) canned crushed tomatoes
• 1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine or chicken broth
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) tomato paste
• 3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
• 2 celery stalks, cut into matchsticks
• 4 garlic cloves, slivered
• 4 tsp (20 ml)brown sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon oregano
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
• 1 lb (500 g) well-trimmed boneless beef eye round roast
1. Combine mushrooms and hot water in small bowl. Let stand 20 minutes until softened. With fingers, scoop mushrooms out of liquid. Strain mushroom soaking liquid through fine-meshed sieve and set aside. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Combine mushrooms, mushroom soaking liquid, tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, carrots, celery, garlic, brown sugar, oregano, salt, and black pepper in Dutch oven or flameproof casserole. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Add meat to pan and return to a boil. Cover, place in oven, and bake until meat is tender,
about 1-1/2 hours.
4. Slice meat and serve with vegetables and sauce. (Recipe can be made ahead. Add sliced meat to pan of sauce and vegetables and refrigerate. Reheat in 250 F/120 C oven).
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Italian Braised Beef with Garlic and Mushrooms