Italian Rice and Tuna Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1 tbsp drained capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 can water-packed, chunk light tuna, rinsed, drained, and flaked
- 3 anchovies, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1. In medium pot, bring water and black pepper to boil. Stir in rice. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain and cool rice slightly. Fluff with fork.
- 2. In large bowl, combine warm rice, tomato, artichoke hearts, green pepper, onion, olives and capers. Pour lemon juice, water and oil over rice mixture. Fold in tuna and anchovies. Toss lightly. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours.
- 3. To serve, spoon salad onto plates lined with curly endive.
For nutritional information and additional recipes, please visit rd.ca.