• 1 lb (450 g) thin Italian sausage (salsiccia)
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried chili akes
• 1 1/2 lb (680 g) cherry tomatoes
• Salt and black pepper
• Fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat broiler to high. Cut sausage into quarters and wind lengths into coils. Pass thin metal skewer horizontally through each coil, then arrange all four on rack of grill pan.
2. Heat oil in large frying pan. Peel garlic and crush into oil. Then add oregano and chili akes and fry gently 30 seconds, without allowing crushed garlic to change colour.
3. Spread tomatoes on top of garlic and chili, cover and cook over low heat 10–12 minutes, or until most tomatoes have burst and are half-submerged in juices.
4. Broil sausage coils 5–6 minutes per side, turning about to ensure even browning.
5. Uncover tomatoes, raise heat to moderate and cook 5 minutes, or until juices have thickened. Press lightly with back of spoon to ensure that all tomatoes have burst.
6. Season tomato sauce to taste with salt and pepper, then pour onto four warmed serving plates and put sausage coils in centres. Rinse and dry basil leaves, strip from stems, and scatter over top.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Most Popular From ...