- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) light (single) cream
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tomato salsa (or chutney)
- 2 cups (100 g) watercress
- Beat the eggs and cream in a large bowl.
- Cook the egg mixture in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, or until the eggs form large chunks.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Warm the tortillas in a large frying pan over high heat, one at a time, until they begin to colour.
- Transfer to a flat surface and spread with the tomato salsa.
- Top with the scrambled egg and watercress.
- Fold the tortillas over and serve hot.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 7 minutes
Spicy sausage & tomato soup
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 (14-ounce/400-g) cans chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 8 ounces (250 g) Spanish chorizo sausage, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14-ounce/400-g) can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Combine the stock, tomatoes, sausage, and beans in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Barley with Pancetta & Beans
- 5 ounces (150 g) diced pancetta
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) pearl barley
- 1 cup (100 g) frozen baby fava (broad) beans (or substitute frozen baby lima beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Dry-fry the pancetta in saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes, until crisp.
- Add the barley, fava beans, and garlic. Pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, until the barley is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve hot.
Cooking: 35 minutes
For more delicious recipes visit rd.ca.