Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta (C) speaks to Chinese Premier Li Keqiang (not pictured) during their meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Saturday that at least 39 people had been killed by "terrorists" in a gun attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi, and pledged that Kenya would hunt down those responsible.
"The despicable perpetrators of this cowardly act hoped to intimidate, divide and cause despondency amongst Kenyans," Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation.
"We have overcome terrorist attacks before. We will defeat them again."
Kenyatta said he himself had lost close relatives in Saturday's mass shooting in a Nairobi shopping mall.
Addressing the relatives of victims, a somber Kenyatta said in an address to the nation: "I ask God to give you comfort as you confront this tragedy, and I know what you feel, having also lost very close family members in this attack."