An 11-fight boxing show that was supposed to take place on May 2 at the Metro Centre has been cancelled.
Standing 8 Productions, the group behind the event, told the Nova Scotia Boxing Authority last night that it was pulling the plug on A Night of Glory because it was unable to secure the funds necessary to pay officials and fill the prize purse.
NSBA chairman Mickey MacDonald said those funds total “probably around $100,000” and said he would have been forced to cancel the event anyway had his organization not received the money by today’s deadline of 4 p.m.
“I am disappointed but I understand,” said MacDonald.
“I know (Standing 8) was giving its best effort and it’s disappointing for boxing that it’s not able to take place.”
Mike Bazan, a Standing 8 associate, said his group ended up more than $200,000 short when it learned Friday a half dozen sponsors had backed out of verbal agreements.
“It was us trusting people we were working with (in Halifax) to secure the funding from sponsors and it didn’t work out,” Bazan said. “We’re not going to point fingers.”
Bazan estimated that 1,500 tickets had been sold for the show and said his group isn’t done with Halifax.
“Next time, we’ll do things differently, and the community has to step up and help make it happen,” he said.
Halifax resident Jason Naugler, originally from Hebbville, Lunenburg Co., had been scheduled to headline the event against David Whittom for the Canadian light-heavyweight crown.
Jean-Paul Mendy and Abdullah Ramadan were to meet for the IBF intercontinental super-middleweight belt, and Halifax’s Tyson Cave provided local star power.
Hip-hop recording artist Akon and actor/comedian Eddie Griffin were also scheduled to be on hand.