Store-bought, packable snacks for school or work can be pricey and some of the ingredients are less than desirable. Sure, there are all-natural brands, but they usually cost even more.
For about 50 cents each you can make these oatmeal, raspberry and peach snack bars, which kids (and adults, for that matter) would love to find tucked into their lunch bags.
The soft, chewy bars are made with plenty of fruit and aren’t too sweet, so they even make a great on-the-go breakfast treat.
Oatmeal, Raspberry and Peach Snack Bars
Makes 16 bars
• 75 ml (1/3 cup) orange juice
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) cornstarch
• 30 ml (2 tbsp), plus 125 ml (1/2 cup) packed light brown sugar, divided
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) frozen or fresh raspberries
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) diced frozen or fresh peaches
• 375 ml (1 1/2) cups quick rolled oats
• 175 ml (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, softened
• 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
In a medium saucepan, whisk together orange juice, cornstarch and 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the brown sugar. Add raspberries and peaches, then stir over medium-high until mixture is simmering and thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Coat an 18-by-28-cm or 23-by-23-cm (7-by-11-inch or 9-by-9-inch) baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) of brown sugar, butter and baking soda. Mix together with a fork until dough is crumbly but beginning to hold together. Set aside 250 ml (1 cup) of the mixture.
Mix egg into dough remaining in bowl. Transfer dough with egg to prepared baking dish and press it evenly over the bottom. Spread reserved fruit filling on top, then sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over it.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 bars.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures