- 5 large lemons
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 flounder fillets
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
1. Roll 1 lemon on countertop to get juices flowing; grate zest from this lemon and squeeze juice. Cut 3 lemons into 12 1/4-in. 0.5 cm) slices. Slice remaining lemon into 8 wedges. Make basil chiffonade: stack basil leaves and roll up tightly. Slice thinly and set aside as garnish.
Heat oil in small pot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden, 2 minutes. Whisk in lemon juice and remove from heat.
2. Coat grill rack or broiler pan rack with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat grill or broiler to medium. Lightly brush both sides of fish with garlic mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 3 lemon slices on grill or broiler rack and put one flounder fillet on top. Repeat with remaining lemon slices and fish. Grill or broil without turning, until just opaque throughout, 6 minutes. Cook lemon wedges alongside until browned, 2 minutes per side.
3. Meanwhile, blend broth and cornstarch in cup until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture, sugar and 1/4 tsp (1 ml) lemon zest into remaining garlic mixture. Boil over medium-high heat and cook until sauce thickens, 1 minute.
4. Transfer fish to plates, lemon slices down. Spoon sauce over fish and sprinkle with basil chiffonade and remaining lemon zest. Garnish with grilled lemon wedges.
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month's Reader's Digest, on newsstands now!