Lemony Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/3 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 wafer-thin slices of lemon
- 1. In large heavy pot over medium heat, cook garlic and onions in oil until brown, 3 to
- 5 minutes. Add lentils and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth. Simmer, covered, until lentils are almost soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. In dry skillet set over high heat, toast coriander and cumin until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes, then add to soup. Add lemon juice, lemon slices, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer soup for 5 minutes before serving.