French Toast Peanut Butter & Jam
Prep time: 15 min
The constant hunt for new and exciting lunches to pack for kids has led to some pretty creative experiments.
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
- PHOTOS: It was a stylish No Pants Subway Ride 2019 in NYC19 Pictures
The fried egg and cheddar on whole wheat was a flop. Cold sirloin and cold carbonara were hits. Your basic grilled cheese got a lukewarm reception. Even with the addition of ham. But peanut butter and pretzel sandwiches have become a standard item.
And that got me thinking about your basic peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you can grill a cheese sandwich, why not a PB&J? So I tried it with a bit of butter in the skillet and it was a huge hit, especially once I added a bit of cinnamon to the butter. Warm melty peanut butter and sweet jam. What’s not to love?
• 1 large egg
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) milk
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
• Pinch salt
• 2 slices whole-wheat bread
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) peanut butter
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) fruit jam
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
• Powdered sugar
1. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together egg, milk, cinnamon and salt.
2. Use bread, peanut butter and jam to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Spread half of the peanut butter on each slice of bread. This helps the sandwich hold together.
3. Soak sandwich in egg mixture for 2 minutes per side, pressing it gently with a fork to help it absorb egg.
4. Heat a medium skillet over medium. Add butter. When butter has melted, add sandwich and fry for 2 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly browned. Use a spatula to flip sandwich, then cover the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes or until browned on the second side.
5. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.