Update 5:56 p.m. EST -- The official Twitter account of the NYC Halloween Parade has confirmed that the beloved event is officially still on for tonight. Get your costumes ready and enjoy.
Update 5:44 p.m. EST -- During a press conference following mass shooting and vehicular strike incident earlier this afternoon, neither the governor nor the mayor mentioned any parade cancellation, though they said there will be a ramped up police presence in the city and that New Yorkers should go about their lives as usual. The Twitter account of parade organizers continues to promote the event.
Update 4:59 p.m. EST -- Just before 5:00 p.m. EST, the a police officer told fellow officers via the NYPD scanner feed “all officers at the crime scene that were assigned to the parade, please return back to your posts.” Activity over the NYPD scanner feed indicates that city officers are going about planned activities to prepare for the NYC Halloween parade 2017.
Original story -- After at least two people were killed and multiple people were injured in a mass shooting and vehicular strike incident in New York City at 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, you’re likely wondering if the Village Halloween Parade is cancelled. And, if not, is it safe to go out tonight?
The police report that after the incident, one person was in custody, and there were no other outstanding suspects.
Although information is still coming in, this is what the NYPD has shared with the media through their Twitter account. “Earlier a vehicle entered the West St. pedestrian/bike path a few blocks north of Chambers St. The vehicle struck multiple people on the path. There are several fatalities and numerous people injured. The vehicle continued south striking another vehicle. The suspect exited the vehicle displaying imitation firearms & was shot by NYPD. The suspect is in custody. This is preliminary, more information to follow.”
It is as yet unclear whether this will impact the Village Halloween Parade, which is scheduled to take place this evening in the West Village. Metro is closely tracking this story and will update this article with any new information confirmed with the NYPD about tonight’s event.
As of one hour ago, the Twitter account of the official NYC Halloween Parade was still promoting the event as usual. Metro is checking their accounts for updates. The organization could not be reached by the time of publication for comment.
Additional reporting done by Lenyon Whitaker.