Trumpkins can be realistic. Photo: Getty Images1/3
Trumpkins can be realistic. Photo: Getty Images
Trumpkins can be scary. Photo: Getty Images2/3
Trumpkins can be scary. Photo: Getty Images
Trumpkins can be serious. Photo: Getty Images3/3
Trumpkins can be serious. Photo: Getty Images
Metro is launching its first-ever pumpkin-carving contest, and we have a theme: Trumpkins.
In case you’re unfamiliar, a Trumpkin (also known as a Trump-o’-lantern) is simply a Halloween jack-o’-lantern carved in the likeness of President Donald Trump. All in good fun, really. So much of the news cycle dominates politics, it’s only natural that this year’s Halloween pumpkins be presidential. They can be silly, they can be serious, they can have blonde wigs and ties. Get creative.
And if you have aversion to knives, don't worry -- we'll consider painted pumpkins as well.
#MetroWeen is coming
Submit photos of your carved pumpkins on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #MetroWeen, or email photos to Morgan@metro.us. Check out our MetroWeen edition on Thursday, Oct. 26 to see the winning Trumpkin and to check out the rest of our special Halloween coverage.
Until then, above are some Trumpkin photos, for inspiration.
Pumpkin carving tips
For the novice pumpkin-carver, here are some helpful tips, via Good Housekeeping.
1. Choose a round, fresh pumpkin with a flat bottom and a sturdy stem
2. Use a boning knife to cut out the lid on an angle
3. Scoop out the seeds and pulp using a claw, and thin down the inner wall to 1 1/4-inches thick
4. Hold the pumpkin in your lap as you carve, and don't cut on a slant
5. Use a small saw to make intricate designs
6. Amazon sells pumpkin carving kits for as low as $8
How to roast pumpkin seeds
After your Trump-o-lantern is finished, the fun continues. Now it's time to clean then roast the pumpkin seeds for satisfying autumn snacking (via All Recipes)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Mix pumpkin seeds in a bowl with melted butter and salt
3. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and add any seasoning you'd like (cinnamon and sugar, or parmesan and oregano)
4. Bake until golden brown (about 45 minutes) stirring occasionally
Pro tip: Cover with tin foil to help them cook evenly