What you need to know about weight loss surgery
As the leading cause of preventable death in Canada, your weight may be putting you at risk of diabetes, arthritis, sleep apnea and heart disease.
Making the decision to lose weight can be intimidating, but it can also be an exciting journey to a healthier you.
If you have struggled unsuccessfully with your weight for years, you might be ready to consider a permanent weight loss solution using the Lap-Band System.
The Lap-Band System is an inflatable band that is placed around the top part of the stomach, creating a small pouch that helps limit the amount of food that can be eaten at each meal.
Unlike other weight loss surgeries, it is inserted laparoscopically and is completely adjustable and reversible, if necessary.
Weight loss surgery is not for everyone. Speak to your doctor about the right option for you. You might be eligible for the Lap-Band System if:
• You are between 18 and 60 years of age.
• Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 35 or greater; or is 30 or greater with other weight related health problems, like diabetes or heart disease. To calculate your BMI, go to www.lapbandcanada.ca.
• You have been overweight for more than five years.
• You do not drink alcohol in excess.
• Serious attempts to lose weight have only had short-term success.
• You are prepared to make healthy lifestyle choices in eating habits and exercise.