MacIntosh loses bail application

A man who is waiting to be sentenced after he was convicted of sexuallymolesting two boys in the 1970s was denied bail Thursday at Nova ScotiaSupreme Court in Halifax.

A man who is waiting to be sentenced after he was convicted of sexually molesting two boys in the 1970s was denied bail Thursday at Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Halifax.

Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh, 67, was found guilty last month on 13 charges of indecent assault and gross indecency.

Handcuffed and wearing a navy suit, MacIntosh was escorted Thursday by two sheriffs past a wall of TV cameras and reporters into the courtroom.

Details of the evidence presented during the bail hearing are banned from publication.

Brian Casey, MacIntosh’s lawyer, told reporters following the decision he and his client were disappointed.

“He’s sorry that this time is going to be spent (in custody),” he said.

Crown lawyer Mark Scott offered a different take.

“We certainly took the view that between conviction and sentence, it would be extraordinary for this court to release a person pending sentence,” Scott said outside court.

MacIntosh is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 14.

Both Casey and Scott said that MacIntosh can apply for bail again at that time.

The initial complainant against MacIntosh went to police in 1995, and the first charges were laid against him that year. The man testified at trial that MacIntosh had abused him upwards of 100 times.

A second complainant, a cousin of the first, said MacIntosh abused him about five times between the ages of 11 and 13.

Timeline
• Extradition Ernest Fenwick MacIntosh was extradited from India in 2007 to face the charges, which date back 15 years.

• Abuse At MacIntosh’s trial last month in Port Hawkesbury, the victims testified the abuse occurred in the former businessman’s vehicles and other locations prior to 1974 when he lived in Cape Breton.

• Appeal MacIntosh is appealing the convictions at the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal.

• March The date for that appeal has been scheduled for March 22.

• Defence Lawyer Brian Casey filed the appeal on July 30.

 
 
Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...