When your child moves away from home for college or university, there are important changes and responsibilities to consider. Along with the emotional stress of having your young graduate leave home, you also need to consider what the move means for your finances and insurance policies.


Being informed about your insurance coverage is crucial for your child’s protection and well being. While many policies extend parents’ coverage to kids in university, other policies encourage college students to purchase their own insurance.


For a stress-free transition, Wayne Ross, insurance expert at Aviva Canada, offers the following helpful tips:


1. Scope out apartments: Living off-campus can help students develop a sense of independence and save some money. However, consider buying a tenant policy in your child’s name so their personal property is protected.

2. Keep track of their finances: University life goes hand-in-hand with expensive purchases like computers and other electronics. Stick to a budget, keep track of your purchase and verify what your insurance covers.

3. Check your car insurance: Whether your child takes his or her car to university or intends to drive on visits home, call your insurance company to check what your policy includes.

Following these tips can help you breathe a little easier during this time of transition. More information is available from your insurance broker.