Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Conserve
1. In a heavy pot over moderate heat, simmer water, sugar, cinnamon stick, allspice and half of the cranberries, stirring occasionally, until cranberries just start to pop, about 5 minutes.
2. Add half of the remaining cranberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel and core apples, then cut them into 5-mm ( 1/8-inch) dice. Add to pot, along with walnuts and remaining cranberries. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in Calvados and simmer for 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat and let cool to warm or room temperature. Discard cinnamon stick.
Makes about 12 cups.
Raw Cranberry Relish
1. Peel 1 orange, discarding peel. Leave peel on the other orange. Cut both oranges into wedges.
2. Place oranges and raisins in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add cranberries and pulse until finely chopped but not purŽed.
3. Transfer relish to a serving bowl. Stir in liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.