For a smaller crowd this Thanksgiving, a stuffed turkey breast is ideal.
Maple-Stuffed Turkey Breast
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Apple Emoji update includes a llama, skateboard and some bagel drama 24 Pictures
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) onion, finely diced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) sage, chopped
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) long-grain and wild rice mix, cooked
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1.5 kg (3 lb) turkey breast, boneless, skin on
• 175 ml (3/4 cup) real maple syrup
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, softened
• 5 ml (1 tsp) dried sage
• 4 large carrots, cut into halves lengthwise
1. Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F).In a large pan on medium-low, heat butter and saute onion until transparent. Add garlic, sage and cranberries. Saute until cranberries are softened. Stir in rice, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. With skin side down, flatten turkey breast with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin until turkey breast is of fairly uniform thickness.
3. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and butter well. Spread 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the butter mixture on the inside of the turkey breast. Spoon stuffing mixture on breast leaving a 5-cm (2-inch) border around the sides. Starting at one end, fold turkey breast around the stuffing, fully enclosing the stuffing, and secure with string or skewers.
4. Lay carrots in the bottom of a lightly oiled roasting pan. Place turkey breast seam side down on carrots and rub with another 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the butter mixture. Season with salt, pepper and dried sage, then cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 83 C (180 F).
5. Let turkey rest for 5 minutes. In the meantime, heat remaining butter-maple syrup mixture on medium heat until mixture begins to boil and starts to reduce. When mixture appears thickened, remove from heat. Remove string or skewers from turkey breast and slice in 2.5-cm (1-inch) thick slices. Serve with roasted carrots and maple sauce.